BUDAPEST, HUNGARY - JULY 25: Carlos Sainz of Spain and Williams arrives in the Paddock prior to final practice ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Hungary at Hungaroring on July 25, 2026 in Budapest, Hungary. (Photo by Sona Maleterova/Getty Images) | Getty Images Earlier this week, Williams confirmed that driver Alex Albon would be back for the 2027 Formula 1 season. That was not the only item that team principal James Vowles checked off his to-do list ahead of this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix. On Wednesday, the team confirmed that Carlos Sainz would be back next season as well, solidifying the team’s lineup for the 2027 season. Williams announced that Sainz agreed to a “new multi-year contract” with Williams, “confirming his trust in the team’s comeback project.” The news locks in the veteran drivers for Williams’ 50th anniversary year in 2027. “From the moment he joined, Carlos’ talent behind the steering wheel and dedication back at the factory have been extremely valuable for this project – working day in, day out with his engineers to find every millisecond. He is a leader of this team, and I’m thrilled that he can see what’s possible as we continue to rebuild it,” said Vowles in a media statement. “It’s not just his racecraft and speed that stand out, but the work he does behind the scenes in the pursuit of high performance. Carlos shares the belief and ambition we have at Atlassian Williams F1 Team and is pushing every day to deliver it. Along with Alex, I truly believe we have one of the strongest line-ups on the grid, and a team capable of fighting for every ounce of performance together.” Sainz said he was “thrilled” to continue his journey with the Grove-based operation. “I’m thrilled to announce my continued journey with the Atlassian Williams F1 Team family! I truly believe in the people that form this team, both at the factory and at the racetracks, and the investments and hard work that are happening in the background,” said Sainz. “We have what it takes to turn this around together. I’m as committed as I was on day one to helping get Williams back to where it belongs, and I look forward to creating more memories with the team.” Like Albon, the Spanish driver also penned a lengthy post on the team’s website, outlining his excitement for the “challenge” ahead. “There are many reasons to stay and continue to push with the team. First and foremost, because of the people who form this big family. I believe in the strength of the group in order to be successful, and I think the people at Williams have the right talent, motivation and passion to bring this team back to the top,” wrote Sainz. “There are also a lot of changes, investments and projects happening in the background that make me believe we are on the right path. We have hit a bump in the road this season, but we have all the right ingredients to bounce back and come back stronger.” Sainz also gave credit to the team’s supporters for their passion, inspiration, and strength. “The support and passion of the fans are paramount to an F1 team. As an athlete, a chant of support, a sign with a positive message written on it, or a grandstand full of people cheering you on is hugely important, not only for me but for the entire team as well. Our mechanics, our engineers, every team member takes pride in wearing our colours, and the support of the fans can lift anyone’s spirits after a tough day at the office or at the track,” wrote Sainz. “I see Williams as one big family, and the fans are at the very core of it all! They give us inspiration and strength so we can give our best every day and make them proud.” Williams finished a surprising fifth in the Constructors’ Championship last season, Sainz’s first campaign with the team. But despite the operation focusing on this year, and the incoming regulation set, with the hopes of getting off to a strong start Williams has struggled this season. The team enters this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix sitting ninth in the standings with just 11 points, and Williams has not enjoyed a finish in the points since the Monaco Grand Prix. If the team does not score at this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix, it would mark six consecutive races outside the points.
Back to Sports
Sports
August 19, 2026 at 1:35 PM
Carlos Sainz is ‘ready’ for the challenge ahead at Williams F1
SB Nation